Tuesday, April 22, 2008

pneumonia

Okay, you probably think that I just blog about all the sickness we've had at our house and maybe you thought that since it's finally April we won't have any more of that. Well, Jack was diagnosed with pneumonia on Saturday morning. I took him in because something was just not right (the week before he had pink eye in both eyes and an ear infection). I was worried about having some random doctor who was on call in the walk in clinic since all the doctors rotate and I didn't want to go through all the respiratory problems with them, but the doctor who walked through the door was Jack's pediatrician who we LOVE! She sent us over for chest X-rays, which is really a torture device for the child. Jack got strapped into this seat of sorts with his hands up over his head and plastic sides that latched together around his chest with leather straps. He screamed bloody murder, and the tech goes, "Oh that will make for a great X-ray"...and a tear is just about rolling down my cheek. Good thing Steve has to take him back for his follow up X-ray! :) We got sent home with 2 different antibiotics and a steroid. He went back in yesterday because he hasn't eaten anything and maybe had a sippy cup of juice (and he just wants milk). If he doesn't make a turn around by this afternoon, I have to take him back in today. The thing I worry about is I think they'll put him in the hospital. He's still sleeping now, so maybe that's a good sign.

He can't go back to daycare for the rest of the week, so Steve stayed home on Monday and I'm staying home today and my Aunt Linda is coming for the rest of the week. That's the problem with teaching...only 2 child sick days, what a joke!

I was going to put a couple cute pictures on here of Jack but it doesn't want to cooperate so I'll have to try later.

7 comments:

Libby Design said...

Poor little buddy! I remember when I was still doing the "corporate america" thing and both kids came down with that rotovirus for 10 days (right after I'd taken time off for Peyton to have her aedenoids taken out). I had like 3 PTO days, so my work wasn't real happy with me, but what can ya do! Kids get sick and there's nothing you can do about it. We'll be praying that Jack gets better soon!!!

Thompson's said...

Oh this is a major bummer. I'll be praying he doesn't get admitted and a restful week with auntie will get him back on track.

Good job making it through the x-rays...sounds like a torture device for the kid and mother who is watching!

Take care.

April said...

Hey Amers~
Sorry you 3 have to go through another illness! Poor Jack! You (and Steve) must be running on very little sleep......
I hope that things are turning around for Jack, that he is eating more than one chicken nugget, drinking more juice, and can get some well-needed sleep. Good thing Aunt Linda can help out during this rough time. You will get through it.
Love you lots-
(trish just got here and says hi and xoxo)

Katie said...

I'll be praying, too, that Jack gets better and doesn't have to get admitted. I hope you guys can get some rest and get through this bout of sickness quickly. Let us know how things go!

Wallestads said...

Ugh. Evan had chest X-rays once when he was about three months old. It IS awful. Glad you made it through, though! We'll be praying for health in your house. Sick babies are exhausting, aren't they?

Melissa

Erin said...

I hope you are ALL starting to feel better. It must be so tough to watch that precious little boy feel so sick!

Wishing we were all happy and healthy riding down a slide at the Polynesian!!!

love ya!

Houseofmills said...

poor guy...You only get 2 child sick days??? What if your kid is really sick....thats joke! I think our children are more important....crazy world we live in!!! Think of single Moms who don't have a hubby that can stay home like Steve can. our country is annoying that way. enough about that..hahaha!

I hope he is doing better. I know how you feel. Noah was in the hospital with Pneumonia also. I felt so bad for him. There so little and helpless. The thing that got me through was thinking that he he will never remember this. We don't remember anything before we were 4..do we?? hahahaha =)